The College of Medicine was conceived by the founding fathers as a Medical School which is an autonomous entity within the University of Lagos. It was founded to produce highly trained medical manpower to provide specialized medical services and to conduct research into health related problems. In October 1962, the first batch of 28 medical students were admitted into the College and they received their first lectures on October 3, 1962.
Over the past 50 years, successive leadership of the College had worked tirelessly towards the realization of the lofty goals of making the Medical School the foremost College of Medicine located in the University of first Choice and the Nations pride. The College has grown remarkably. It now has three faculties: Basic Medica . . .read more
In March 1959, after consultation with the three Regional Governments , the Federal Minister for Education the Hon. Aja Nwachukwu appointed a commission on Post-School Certificate and Higher Education in Nigeria, under the Chairmanship of Sir Eric Ashby. The report of the Ashby commission was presented to the Government in September 1960. After considerations of the Ashby report, the Federal Government issued a report on Education Development 1961-1970 Sectional Report No 3 of 1961.
The Report Stated that:
The University of Lagos will have a Medical School and utilize existing Medical Institutions for training in Clinical Medicine. In collaboration with the Federal Government and at it's request, the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization set . . .read more
To be a world-class research intensive medical school.
To deliver teaching and facilitate learning of the highest quality and
To play a leading role in health and economic development of Nigeria.